Have you heard? It’s Earth Week!
Here at Local 1, we know we can’t win justice for working families without environmental justice. That’s because working people are directly—and too often disproportionately—affected by the threats of climate change, extreme weather like the devastation of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, and pollution like the toxic water crisis in Flint, Michigan. Working people are also more likely to be confronted with environmental and health hazards at work—and less likely to receive adequate protections from them.
All people deserve to live and work in environments that do not put their health and livelihoods at risk. That’s why Local 1 is fighting at the forefront of the environmental justice movement. Together, we are working to build a wider movement that unites our fight for climate, racial, immigrant and economic justice.
Here’s what Local 1 has recently worked on to advance environmental justice and ways you can join the movement to help build healthy and safe communities for all—whether white, Black or brown.
Green New Deal
- SEIU Local 1 supports the nationwide Green New Deal proposal and efforts at the state and local levels to reduce emissions, create good jobs and eliminate inequality. The Green New Deal calls for the creation of high-quality union jobs to reach the demand of 100% clean energy by 2030 while supporting a just transition and economic security for workers and families impacted by the phasing out of fossil fuels.
- There will be hundreds of town halls across the country to discuss the Green New Deal, several of which are happening in our Local 1 cities. Please sign up to attend if can. Use discount code “SEIU” for a free ticket.
- SEIU Local 1 endorses CEJA, which will put Illinois on a path to 100% renewable energy by 2050 while growing the clean energy economy that expands equitable access to public health, safety, a cleaner environment, and quality jobs and economic opportunities.
- Local 1 will join allies in Springfield, IL on May 9 for a CEJA Lobby Day. Sign up here to attend and get a seat on a bus!
Chicago ‘Ready for 100’
- Earlier this month, Chicago became the largest city to set a community-wide 100% clean energy goal! Resolution 2019-157 sets Chicago on the path to 100% renewable electricity by 2035 and a fully electric bus fleet by 2040!
Want to learn more about Local 1’s environmental efforts? Are you facing an environmental injustice and want to share your story? Respond “Yes” to your text message from SEIU Local 1, and we will get back to you!