Chicago Janitors Take Vote to Authorize Strike

***** News Advisory for Friday and Saturday, March 30th and 31st *****

Contact: Leslie Mendoza Kamstra, (773) 896-7815 mendozal@seiu1.org

Izabela Miltko, (708) 655-9681 miltkoi@seiu1.org

In the final ten days of contract talks over good jobs,

Chicago Janitors Take Vote to Authorize Strike

Janitors Struggle on Low Wages While Building Owners are Making Profits

CHICAGO| Chicago janitors who clean buildings owned by some of the wealthiest companies in the world plan to hold a vote on Saturday authorizing their bargaining committee to call a strike if necessary. Local janitors, who make about $30,000 a year, are struggling to keep their families out of poverty. Janitors and community supporters are calling on building owners and the richest corporations in the country to do their part and create good middle class jobs for Chicago.

On the eve of the strike authorization vote, janitors and community supporters will rally in front of the building where contract negotiations with BOMA (Building Owners and Managers Association) are underway. The vote and rally come as our country is in the midst of massive public protest over the disappearing middle class and increasing income inequality between the richest 1% and the other 99% of this country.

WHAT:                             Janitors Rally; Vote to Authorize Strike

WHEN & WHERE:        Friday, March 30

3:30 p.m.—March ending in a rally outside bargaining on the eve of the vote
On the streets outside 111 E. Wacker Dr., Chicago

Saturday, March 31

1 p.m.—Press Conference following a strike authorization vote

On the steps of Teamsters Hall, 330 S. Ashland Ave., Chicago

WHO: Hundreds of SEIU Local 1 Janitors from the Chicago area and their families

Community Supporters, including other unions and clergy members

BACKGROUND: For the first time ever, SEIU Local 1’s janitorial contracts in all 11 cities expire in the same year. These contracts impact the livelihood of 22,000 Local 1 members and their families. Chicago-area janitors have been in contract negotiations since early March. Their contract, impacting more than 13,000 local janitors, expires on April 8.

Comments are closed.